Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Aladdin takes place during the Bronze Age: a deep-dive.
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aladdin takes place during the Bronze Age: a deep-dive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leaf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:04 am    Post subject: Aladdin takes place during the Bronze Age: a deep-dive. Reply with quote

Hello! I'm new here and thought I'd share something I've been ruminating on recently. That being, when does Aladdin actually take place?

So, I admit there probably can't be a definitive answer to this question. Aladdin is inherently one of the most difficult Disney films to try to date, as it has too many cartoonishly anachronistic elements and cultural amalgamations in it to assign it a definitive, indisputable time period. (There's even that infamous fan theory that it actually takes place in the far future, which I disagree with.) So, this is mostly just for fun, as I'm not claiming that my reading on when the series takes place is necessarily the correct one, nor do I claim to be an authority on anything. If anything, what I'm proposing is essentially akin to a fan theory. But, I do have some evidence to back it up.

All that said, I would like to argue that, permitting that the sequels and TV series are generally considered canon, then I believe Aladdin has to be set during the Bronze Age. I claim this due to the presence of characters and mythological creatures which are clearly from ancient Egypt and ancient Greece, such as Mirage (who seems to be a conceptual fusion of Sekhmet, Bastet, and Sutekh), as well as fellow Ancient Egypt-themed cat deity Chaos, Nefir and his fellow Ancient-Egyptian-clad imps, Mechanicles (who seems to be chasing the clout of other Ancient Greek philosophers and inventors), the Amazon-like Galifems, Osiris (even though "Osiris" is probably actually Horus or Ra, due to having a falcon head) and of course Hades and Hercules in the crossover episode with the Hercules TV series, "Hercules and the Arabian Night", if you want to count that. ...There is minor evidence in the original movie that supports this dating as well - namely the appearance of an Ancient Egyptian carving the Sphinx during the magic carpet ride scene.

Now for the sake of argument, there are plenty of anachronistic elements in the movie that go against my proposed Bronze Age dating as well, even beyond the Genie's modern pop-culture references (which we'll just chalk up to the Genie having an inherent degree of omniscience) - such as the Forbidden City and fireworks also being depicted in the magic carpet scene, the presence of baguettes, or Iago being a New World parrot, and llamas, a New World mammal, being shown during the Prince Ali song. Also, the earliest usage of scimitars seems to only go as far back as the 9th century, and the first usage of the term "sultan" to refer to a ruler seems to be the 10th century.

Lastly, I know some have cited the usage of "Allah" to refer to God to be evident that the characters must be Muslim, although all it actually proves is that the characters are speaking Arabic. As the Arabic language predates Islam, the usage of Arabic words and phrases doesn't actually help us narrow down the time period all that much. The earliest dating of the usage of the Arabic language seems to be the 1st millennium BCE.

Anachronisms and counter-points aside. Overall, I still believe there seems to be the most evidence pointing towards the Bronze Age dating when taking not only the original film but also the sequels and TV series into account, considering the cast of characters and mythical creatures actively present in them. If nothing else, it's hard to look at a character like Mirage or Mechanicles and think "ah yes, that looks like the 15th century."

...But alas, that's just my own personal theory. A film theory! Thanks for reading!
(Admittedly, I also just think it's fun to entertain the idea that Aladdin and Hercules not only take place within the same universe, but also take place at around the same time.)

...Thoughts?
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Leaf! If you want to make an official account, just let me know! Bots are kind of annoying here, so a lot of email domains are temporarily blocked to keep them from spamming the board.

I haven't thought about this in years and this honestly sounds pretty solid to me Laughing. This is the last discussion we had about it about a decade ago: http://ww.aladdincentral.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4434
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Aladdin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum